What does it mean to be in the “flow state” or “in the zone”? Probably the most common application is in the context of sports, but it’s something we all experience and it’s an important part of our creative practice. Ginger and Jonathan talk about our experiences with flow state and how we get there. We discuss its benefits and why we want more of it, as well as detour to investigate those things to which flow connects us.
- An overview of the flow state: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190204-how-to-find-your-flow-state-to-be-peak-creative
- More reading on flow and its benefits (among other things): https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-flow-2794768
- Anne Lamott on The Tim Ferriss podcast: https://tim.blog/2021/07/09/anne-lamott/
- Written Summary of Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: https://theartofliving.com/flow-mihaly-csikszentmihalyi/
- Video summary of Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6IMYRoCZw
- More Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi: https://positivepsychology.com/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi-father-of-flow/